lunes, 8 de septiembre de 2008

2nd week... gone! Tomorrow: Camp Leakey!!!







I would like to seem really happy, but I can't. I was really happy and hoping to sit down and write about all the things that had happened during the last days, but after trying for 3 hours to use a computer (... yes, 3 hours!!!!) I can't be really happy. I've tryed 7 diferent computers, but today there's a conspiracy against me and the USB ports to connect my cards to upload the pictures. Internet is used to be REALLY slow on this countries, but I was not expecting to have this kind of problems with the USB... Finally, after a long time trying, I've founded a computer that seems (for the moment seems...) that wants to work (fingers crossed...)





Well... I don't know exactly what to say... since I've arrived to Borneo, I think that today is the first day without rain. Normally ir rains a little bit every day. It's suposed that on this moment of the year the rains should'nt be usuals, but... that's life... welcome to the jungle!!! The river now is maybe 40cm upper than the day when we arrived to the working place (the "pondock"), but we're still dry... (we try to be dry... but there's no way to dry our laundry... there's a lot of humidity in the atmosphere and the clothes smels horrible!)





When we arrive at the pondock, (the pondock is like a big campsite tent, just a provisional place to live on while people is working near by building another house), there was a building done (where we are slipping now), and another with only the floor and the roof. Since we arrived, we've cemented the walls, start painting, and now we are doing the doors and windows. It's supposed to be finished before that was expected at the beguinning, so maybe (MAYBE), when this site will be completely finished we'll go for a couple of days to another place to make something there. We'll be very pleasured to go there, because Dan (our coordinator) tolds us that there we'll be able to walk a little bit (now all the area where we're living and working is nsurrounded by 40-80 cm of water...). There the river is enoug far and the site is enouh high (from the river level) to not to have problems with water. The most exciting thing isnt't that one... the best thing is that there are orangutans!!! Maybe a population of 20-30 orangutans living on the area, so we'll be working and maybe watching them at the same time... I really want it!

Last days, also happened 2 important things... The first one, I that I have finally found a good book for me! Is the first time that I have finished a book in my life (I promise... the first time without missing pages or chapters...). The book talks about the global economy (I know... souds boring, but it isn't!!!) It's called "Economia liberal per a no economistes i no liberals", and the author is Xavier Sala i Martin (you can read some about him on his site http://www.columbia.edu/~xs23/Indexmuppet.htm I'm sure you'll agree most of the things he says in any of his articles!!! Enjoy it! The second thing is related to an special girl who received some flowers the other day... ;)

Tomorrow I'll go finally to Camp Leakey: the paradise inside the paradise! Finally I'll see orangutans again! I've been here for two weeks and I haven't seen any of them. A few monkeys from the riverboat, a few birds and thousands of insects!, but no orangutans for the moment. Tomorrow finally I'll see them again!. I hope next time I'll write again on this blog I'll be able to show you a few pictures of them... will be amazing... I promise!!!



Well... I've lost a lot of time trying to found a computer to write this, and now I have no more time to write. I hope next week my "internet experience" will be better... I mean "normal".





Have fun!

No hay comentarios: